Sunday, March 23, 2014

Still No Car

Ok, I am officially over the whole “live like an islander” thing.  We spent yesterday wandering around Coral Bay yet again … and I have to say I am really looking forward to getting a car so we can get to the beautiful beaches.  The beaches are too far to walk to and the taxis come out to Coral Bay about as often as they make it out to our home in Virginia!  By the way, most if not all of the “islanders” have automobiles so we are not really living like the typical islander.  Anyway, I thought I would post a few pictures of in and around Coral Bay.  The main diversion for us was a visit to the Mama Juana Festival (which was fortunately within walking distance).  Turns out Mama Juana is actually a drink which is a combination of rum, red wine, honey, tree bark, and “herbs” which is soaked in the bottle for a LONG time.  I can only say that similar to the Italian Grappa drink, it must be an acquired taste. 
 
This picture of Love City Mini Mart is to give you an idea of the “grocery” store we can get to on foot.  They actually have a surprisingly good selection.
These birds seem to float on the air without moving … I kind of envy them their freedom (no car required).
The Emmaus Moravian Church in Coral Bay was established in 1782.   The Church stands next to the Caroline Estate plantation, the site of a 1733 slave revolt that resulted in the murder of the plantation owner and his 12-year-old daughter and as a result is said to be haunted.


 
There is an elementary school in Coral Bay (The Guy Benjamin Elementary School).  It only has 75 students in Grades 2-6 and fights a never ending battle to keep from being closed.  This is a picture of the ball field at the school (if you look real close you can see they use the same landscaping crew that our apt complex uses).

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment